- Duotrope database of publishers - wondering where to get your story published? This is an indispensable resource.
- Grants and bursaries available to UK and worldwide writers
- List of UK short story competitions
- Another list of short story competitions
east of the web
- A fantastic high-quality site featuring original stories interlaced with classic shorts. My personal favourite. A surf through the Web's fiction is incomplete without a visit.
- A sophisticated application that allows you to earn points by critiquing other people's stories, and then use those points to submit your own stories. Each story usually receives at least half a dozen high-quality crits from writers who are serious about their craft. There is also a lively discussion board.
- The website of a UK charity devoted to encouraging writing and reading. Boasts a selection of top-quality short stories, and excellent resources pages including lists of short story events and competitions.
- Not a short stories website, but a series of fantastic columns and resources about how to write screenplays. Mentioned here because I found these entertaining columns truly inspirational for improving my writing, screenplays or no.
Michael C Keith
- The eclectic site of academic and prolific short story writer, Michael C Keith. He has released several short story collections which are worth checking out. You can also read some of his stories here at Fiction on the Web.
Simon Welsh Poetry
- The brilliant website of one of my favourite poets. You can read lots of his poems online, or hear him perform them himself, and you can buy beautifully printed collections.
- A regularly updated science fiction and fantasy e-zine with quite a few short stories and a sense of humour. An excellent site. This is also the only short stories site on the Internet that has a reasonable claim to being around longer than FICTION on the WEB!
Jimi Five's Plaztik
- This irreverent site deserves the wackiest genre award for short stories. You'll have to see it to believe it! The high quality stories are definitely worth a read.
- Another unusual genre site - this time all of the short stories, satires and poems have a sporty twist. There are a lot of football-related stories, but you can sort by other sports as well. The presentation of the site is refreshingly original and reasonably intuitive.
RJ Silver's Humor Blog
- A hilarious blog about the often rocky relationship between Mr Silver and his Thai girlfriend. Check out RJ Silver's excellent short stories too.
- This US literary e-zine has a good number of stories online, as well as art, poetry, micro-fiction and more.
- An e-zine featuring a good variety of short stories, poetry, essays, art and photography. Slightly unintuitive navigation.
- A great magazine, but you need to sign up to be able to read any of the stories.
- A site that suffers from having too much content without much editorial input. There are good stories here if you're patient enough to find them. Has a lot of poems and flash/micro fiction.
Plots with Guns
- Supercool website featuring lots of crime/noir stories, but every link you click opens in a new window – annoying!
- Sentence is a collection of Ralph Robert Moore's own stories, which range from rib-tickling to just sickening.
- A highly commercialised and fairly counterintuitive website comprising a large amount of mostly short poetry.
Other (mostly) fiction sites:
All links last checked in May 2012 - report a broken link.
The 2nd Hand The 2nd Hand bestows upon you turbo love and kisses, stories, itineraries, literature from Chicago and beyond
2River Since 1996, 2River has been a site of poetry and art, quarterly publishing The 2River View and occasionally publishing individual writers in the 2River Chapbook Series
3AM Magazine From 'cutting edge short fiction' to political satire and music reviews
The 3rd Page An avant-journal of ongrowing natures featuring an international array of contemporary artists' texts, images, sounds and Internet-based artwork
Abyss & Apex "Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too, for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares also into you"
The Age of Aurora A fictional - yet real - world of the cruel insanity of daily life, always getting worse by political maneuvering awaits you at the Downloads section, where the stories can be found. (Seems to be no updates since June 2010.)
Alexandria Press The first international book review in Serbia
Alt-X Mark Amerika's site "where the digerati meet the literati"
Amarillo Bay Amarillo Bay intends to be the premier provider of modern literature on the Web
Archive of Online Fiction by Roger Frederick Several collections of stories (and a couple of novels) from Roger Frederick, a contemporary British author
Art & Letters Daily Provides links to some of the best cultural articles in English
Barcelona Review Fiction heavyweight in Spanish, Catalan, English and French
Be a Better Writer To be publishable, creative writing must be both original and well crafted, the work honed through training, practice, feedback, and multiple revisions. This site has been designed to assist writers in each of these important areas.
Big Bridge Michael Rothenberg's poetry e-zine. One of a kind
Black Gate Adventures in Fantasy Literature
Black Obelisk Software Home of the Liquid Story Binder software for authors, poets, and screenwriters
Blithe House Quarterly BHQ features a diversity of new short stories by emerging and established gay, lesbian bisexual and transgendered authors. "The central publishing arm of new queer fiction" - OUT Magazine
Bruce Harris The website of author, poet, journalist and researcher Bruce Harris
The Cafe Irreal International imagination
Christopher Ford Join Ford on his search for such mythical things as ghosts, demons, and parking in San Francisco. It's pop-culture humor with a dash of horror
Complete Review Hundreds of book reviews
Compulsive Reader Reviews of new release books by some of the hottest writers working today, along with author interviews, a free e-zine, giveaways, literary criticism, author sites, and lots more
Debauchery's Reward Engage on a journey into the world of the truly bizarre. The truly tasteless. If you want fast paced short fiction for short attention spans, you've come to the right place
Eclectica Eclectica was founded in October 1996 with the goal of providing a sterling quality literary magazine on the World Wide Web
Em Writing and Music EMWriting and Music began as an approach to produce a publication that celebrates the culture of Arts and Literature. We offer information on writing, sample CDs with inspiring music you cannot find anywhere else.
Evergreen Review The old classic goes online
Eyeshot Fresh fiction prepared with zest, swerve, pizzazz for the ill and literate. Updated nearly every day
Fail Better Fiction, poetry, art; pick your poison
Faulkner Fiction Novels by Lewis Faulkner
Gadfly Online Gadfly Online picks up where Gadfly magazine (1998-2001) left off. A unique voice crying out in the cultural wilderness - archived material only
GKSammy On Line Stories and poems by GKSammy from Trinidad & Tobago (last updated March 2009)
Hobart Fiction, reviews, interviews and other stuff
Identity Theory The Athens of the Internet
Jack Magazine Another classic. Edited by Mary Sands and Michael Rothenberg (last updated summer 2010)
January Magazine Book reviews and interviews
Locust Magazine An electronic bazaar for all those who are instinctively adverse to: Personal phlegm & heartburn; Appalling regionalism (both green and grey); Political porridge; Social tweet! tweet! Stammering experimentalism...BEAM! BIN!! Street Poetry or Beggar's Poetry
Melic Review Meaning, Economy, Lyricism, Innovation, Clarity (seems to be no updates since 2004)
Milk Magazine Larry Sawyer's cutting-edge e-zine
The National Association of Writers' Groups Do you belong to a writing group? Are you a short story writer, a novelist, a playwright, a poet, a non-fiction writer? Then there's something for you on the NAWG website.
The New Writer The team at The New Writer are committed to working with their readers to increase the chances of publication
nowCulture Excellent online multi-media site. Literary & visual arts
nthposition.com nth position is a free online magazine/ezine with politics & opinion, travel writing, fiction & poetry, reviews & interviews, and some high weirdness
Oyster Boy Review Print & Online Journal of Fiction & Poetry (last updated Fall 2010)
The Poetry Market E-zine Subscribe to The Poetry Market Ezine to receive each monthly emailed issue. Each issue features poetry markets, contests and more.
Retort Magazine Live journal of new international art and literature based in Brisbane Australia edited by Brentley Frazer and guests. Retort - home of the delinquent genius - think forward answer back
Scrawl Online and print magazine from Wales
Seeker Magazine A monthly web page publication for the exploration of ideas, cultures and mind opening points of view, in all media...graphics, sound and text.
Shotgun Confessional An eclectic literary zine featuring a collection of short stories.
Short Story Radio www.shortstoryradio.com was created with the aim of promoting the short story genre and writer.
Snow Monkey Snow Monkey is an online journal that features unpublished poems and micro-prose. The journal is updated 10 times a year with 10 writers featured in the monthly postings September through June.
Sullivan's Short Stories Free short fiction online. Scifi, fantasy, horror, romance, and more. Also poetry, nonfiction, and writing tips.
Three Penny Review For literature in the traditional sense to continue in America, we must continue to have serious, eccentric, imaginative magazines. The Threepenny Review is one of the few, one of the very best
Tin House Make yourself at home with the liveliest writing around
TTA Press Publishers of the acclaimed cutting edge magazines The 3rd Alternative, Crimewave and The Fix. The website includes info, extracts, secure online ordering and an interactive forum
Turbula Our purpose is to have some fun while writing about the things that matter in life - music, art, theater, technology and literary pursuits.
Wag A magazine for decadent readers
Web Del Sol Biggest and best literary portal in cyberspace
Winternight Productions Welcome to the home of alternative publishing! Good stories should not be hard to find. We offer our readers sets of serials (short- to medium-length fiction) in which the first story is free and each successive story costs 99 cents.
Word Smitten Crisp writing, dry humor, and wet beach towels. The Cove chat room brings authors, editors, and writers together. Read the St. Petersburg Times book editor's comments on the publishing labyrinth
Words Magazine Here at Words Magazine you can enter great writing competitions to win real cash prizes while helping a charity. You can order audio tapes or eBooks compiled from entries to those events. You also get all the inspiration, support and advice for your writing that you could ever need.